Sunday, July 29, 2007

Chapter 3 "Theoretical Perspectives"

I think the key points to remember from this week's readings were....
In chapter 3 of Public Relations Theory and Practise by Johnston and Zawawi who took a look at several theories and their approaches in the mainstream world of Public Relations and contained an insightful account into the implication of the future of Public Relations and its theory. It is important to note that there are significant theoretical approaches to Public Relations and a great importance in distinguishing varied contrasting theories. There are a different number of theoretical approaches to consider when studying Public Relations. All theories vary however link to that and the study of Public Relations. These theoretical aspects of Public Relations are empowered by large corporations and have a huge impact in influencing our way of thought and how things work in the real world.The reading also looked at the dominant model of two-way communication and how it is appropriately suited to Public Relations.This model is very good as it not only enables organisations to communicate but the public as well.There were many limitations and importance of theories that were looked at and how they can be used such as:- Agenda Setting, General Systems theory, Semiotics, Habermas critical theory and the notion of the 'public sphere', Grunig's models and the 'symmetrical debate', Heath and 'rhetorical theory', The 'relationship management 'approach, and theoretical implications of postmodernism and the internet: the future of Public Relations theory. We also looked into other theories in brief, these were theories which are to be considered newer theories, these were:- Situational theory, Social learning theory and Social Exchange theory.

The readings made me think more about Public Relations theory/practice in that.....
There are difficulties and controversey in the theories in this particular area of study which have been proven and that the critique of several vast approaches enables an individual to have a clearer and more indepth approach and understanding to the key elements and focus of Public Relations and an awareness of the types of theories and there main role. It also i believe looks at the practises of public Relations with influences to the varying theoretical views based on political and philosophical assumptions.We musnt forget though that all the theories are of significance and deal with main focus areas of Public Relations and it is important to be socially aware of this and know that all theories will be needed at some stage, along with the dominant model of two-way communication which is profoundly suited to that of Public Relations.I think it is amazing how many theories there actually are and the fact that there has also been recent new theories of Public Relations put forth. These help one to be become clearer and more aware of the kinds of Public Relations practices at hand.

1 comment:

Jess Kellar said...

Dear Shanna,
After reading your blog about the Public Relations Theories from week 3 I can easily say that you are a strong supporter of the two-way communication model and the two-way symmetrical model. You expressed your opinions strongly, referring to the two-way symmetrical as the 'excellence' model.
I feel that the two-way symmetrical model must have a good PR Practitioner to have deserved that name. In theory the two-way symmetrical theory is logical and lovely but I feel that the two-way asymmetrical model is the most practised and the most logical.
However, I still agree that the two -way symmetrical model is "ideally" the best.
You also mention that all the theories do have a place for use - which I agree with.
You have put alot of work into your blog and are well organised. I praise you for this!
You have mentioned all of the theories covered in chapter 3 and given personal insight at the end.
I would recommend to be shorter and sharper, to provide clarity - as I had to re-read your post.
Goodluck for next time.